Monday, June 23, 2008

Late to the Party (as usual)

Lee Strobel wrote a bestseller in 1998 that was all the rave of the evangelical world for several years and I'm just now getting around to reading it. The Case for Christ. Yeah, I know. Thing is, I've always been the non-comformist and, as such, I just can't bring myself to jump on the fad-wagons of American evangelicalism at the time that they come rolling by. So, to my loss, I am only just now picking up this wonderful book.

I got the itch to read it after blogging on the Ben Stein movie (we will get back to that in a day or two) and after making my last book purchase. Christian apologetics as well as the arguments of theism vs. atheism have become my latest interest so naturally I should go ahead and read this Lee Strobel offering, especially since I already own it. (I think I picked it up very, very cheap a couple of years ago). Thus far I have found it a joy--very readable, informative, a page-turner. A lot of the information I knew already from my own studies--I own and have read material written by some of the scholars whom Strobel interviews--but Strobel puts it all together and always seems to be able to include a little more than I had known before.

I'm 134 pages in and I think I will be done with it (even on my busy schedule) within a week or so. Besides highly recommending it I wanted to pass along this little anecdote from Strobel's interview with Bruce Metzger, simply because I found it irresistibly funny.

In introducing us to Metzger, Strobel writes:

And he hasn't lost his sense of humor. He showed me a tin cannister he inherited as chairman of the Revised Standard Version Bible Committee. He opened the lid to reveal the ashes of an RSV Bible that had been torched in a 1952 bonfire during a protest by a fundamentalist preacher.

"It seems he didn't like it when the committee changed 'fellows' of the King James Version to 'comrades' in Hebrews 1:9," Metzger exclaimed with a chuckle. "He accused them of being communists!"


A gem.

2 comments:

Cindy Swanson said...

I actually have this book in my possesion and have never taken time to read it--how sad is that? My daughter read it and was very impressed.

Good to see you blogging again, James! Stop by and visit my blog when you get a moment. If you scroll down, there's a post that I think you'll really appreciate. :)

jiang said...

It is also worn by pandora online groom-to-be and indicates cheap pandora that she is going to marry very soon with her sweetie. For getting pandora charm the best diamond engagement rings it would pandora charms australia be better to visit a highly established and certified online thomas sabo charms jewelry stores where we can find a wide range of engagement rings in various designed thomas charms